Sunday, December 03, 2006

A Tax Question

My job is in gaming and graphics. At a very high level, I spend my workday developing technologies and tools to create better games. Normally, I wouldn’t have thought twice about this and just dismissed it as even a possibility, but the fact that I have now been asked 3 times in the past 2 weeks about this issue I thought I’d ask it myself: Can I declare my Xbox360 as an unreimbursed business expense? It is without a doubt that using the device better equips me for my job, but I can’t say I ever considered it as a deductible expense. Just wondering what others thought.

1 comment:

gfoak3 said...

I know lots of folks at Pixar that write off movie tickets, their dvds, etc.

But, pretty much, a lot of those folks also get audited. One case was a production assistant doing the write offs, where obviously "research" is not a part of her job description.

I keep my return as vanilla as possible (my mortgage is so high it hits me with AMT anyways) - to each their own :)