Friday, December 21, 2007

The Oatmeal Wars, part II




Returning to the oatmeal saga: Previously I used John McCann's oatmeal from Trader Joe's as my oatmeal of choice to cook in the rice cooker. After extensive research and testing, I found what I believe to be a superior product, and I'll explain why. The product is Bob's Red Mill stone ground oatmeal. The primary reason is that I was having problem with a 1 cup serving boilng over in my Zojirushi rice cooker. Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oatmeal is giving me no such problems. I also think the texture of the oatmeal is slightly better.

This was discovered when we recently paid a visit to the Bob's Red Mill grocery store in Portland, OR. Was a fun experience, they had lots of dried stone ground goods besides oatmeal including whole wheat chocalate cake mixes and a bunch of other goodies. Its about 20 minutes from downtown but worth the trip! Lots of healthy stuff to eat, and they serve a breakfast and lunch menu to try out their products. As I move my diet towards less processed foods, I can imagine Bob's Red Mill products becoming quite popular in my pantry!

1 comment:

Lefty said...

Hi Adam,

I'm writing an article about steel-cut oatmeal for the Oregonian's FOODday section, and I'm looking for oatmeal aficionados to talk to. I'd also love to hear more about your Neuro Fuzzy method and your thoughts re: Bob's Red Mill vs. The Rest. (I'm a Bob's fan myself).

You can reach me at lefty_bir@yahoo.com

Thanks!